Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Rome

On days like this, I always wish I was there.


Of all places on Earth, I love Rome the best. And this building, the Pantheon, is quite simply magical.

Until you visit it, you can't possibly imagine how special it is, and not only because it inspired Brunelleschi's desing of Florence's Cathedral dome (and by consequence Michelangelo's St. Peter's or Wren's St. Paul's... or even the Capitol in Washington). Its top opening gives the interior a very peculiar atmosphere, with a permanent mist and even an ocassional light rain.

I used the Oly E500 with the consumer 14-45 zoom, hence the barrel distortion. Nevertheless I still like this picture. It brings happy memories.

3 comments:

Texas Zemër said...

I love this place, too. I remember visiting each afternoon and just hanging out on the east wall. Even in the dead heat of summer, the coolest breeze rolls through bringing sweet relief. The dome is mesmerizing...is it not? I'm just waiting for a day of rain to witness the droplets fall through. good times, good times.

Rafael del Castillo said...

It's very special indeed...
:)

Gabriele said...

I love Rome, but I live in another place in Italy... this photo is very spiritual...