Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Enrique Morente


The world is a very small place indeed. Fellow "granaino" Enrique Morente was playing in Mexico City this year. Not only my sister Merche was his youngest daughter's Music teacher at school, but he was too a close friend of my late uncle "Valiquin, el Titi". I've always admired his music, ever since I listened to Omega for the first time.

I never met him while living in Granada, but this time I had the chance to meet him personally. It was all part of a surprise gift by Kika, I didn't even know he was in town. He performed twice (a classical repertoire and the relaunch of his fusion work Omega) and both acts were magical. Quite simply, he must be the best flamenco singer of his generation.

I took this picture during the 2nd performance. Who says that P&S cameras and jpeg's can't be used for photo-reportage work? No flash, f4, 1/60 and 400 ASA. No post-processing either, I like it the way it looks. Years ago I used to be a sucker when it came to photo-equipment, nowadays I can't care less...

No comments: