Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Flamencos... only that these ones do not sing or play the guitar


Flamingos are called "Flamencos" in Spanish. And flamencos are not only birds but also musicians who play "flamenco" style music. I miss Teo Sanchez's radio program in Radio Nacional de España RN3: "Duendeando - un programa para flamencos y pelicanos". So I came up with this picture today.

Public radio in Europe (being BBC or RNE) it's the best. I really miss that. At least now I can download the radio programs into my iPod... which rocks!
Check out this link for some awesome World Music podcasts: http://www.rtve.es/programas_radio3/musicas_del_mundo.php

You can tell that I used to work in the radio before starting with my "camera act"...

Coming back to the photo, Rio Lagartos and Celestun in the northern part of the Yucatan Peninsula are two great places for bird watching. For a reasonable fee, local fishermen will give you a boat ride to the nearby manglar islands, where you can see the flamingos and other local species. If you're lucky. you may even see one of the rare fishing eagles that from time to time come to fish there. I went there with Bruce a couple of years ago.

I took this one with the Oly E500. These flamingos are very shy and very quick to fly away... quick reflexes are needed to photograph them.

2 comments:

Petrus said...

Nice photograph - there are many of these birds on the lagoons of La Mata and Santa Pola on the Costa Blanca of Spain .

In Spain they are a white or pink colour ..

Rafael del Castillo said...

How funny is that. I lived in Costa Blanca (Denia) for a couple of years, but I never knew there were flamingos around... Thanks for sharing.

These were sort of pinkish, actually a bit orange maybe. They take their color from the crustaceous they eat. Who knows? Maybe Yucatan’s shrimps and crabs shells have a different color!