Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fellow travelers


A happy picture! We met fellow travelers Betina and Joel in Izamal. I went there with Ros and Frank on our way back from Rio Lagartos (as these two are avid birdwatchers), and we all stayed at the Green River. A little hotel with a lavish garden and charming staff (Francis is most helpful), I very much recommend it for its reasonable price and relaxed atmosphere. Rooms are a little past their best, but they're currently working on them.

Joel was not only a fellow traveler, but a keen tennis player and a certified car nut too, proud owner of a fab Mercedes 280 SL (Pagoda). So I could only but like him. We all shared lunch at the unique Restaurante Kinich (Bruce's eatery of choice when visiting these latitudes), and I helped them to find a hotel in Puerto Morelos. As I haven't heard back from them, I'm fearing that they didn't survive the treacherous drive through the storm... or that they completely hated the hotel I booked for them.

It's always cool when you meet nice people like them when you're on the road. Traveling is the single best thing in life.

No comments: